Friday, May 11, 2007

Chapter V

Well, looking back, maybe it was simply not to be – like many other things in Life.

They eventually got married in a simple church ceremony. Pierre and my Elisabeth. I still remember how radiant she looked on her wedding day. The veil barely managed to hide her wide smile underneath as the vows were exchanged. I wish I could congratulate her with all my heart – to let her know how glad I was for her, despite the conflicting numbness I felt deep inside, but the words simply won’t come out. All I could do is gaze at her, hoping that somehow she’ll understand.

A year, then two passed. I stayed in the background, silently watching over her. Ready to come to her aid should Pierre’s almost-perfect character be simply a façade. Much as I hate to admit it, I had no complaints. I could see that my Princess was happy.

Then the kids came along. Baby Emma was followed by baby Emily a year later.

Both girls were beautiful, with flowing red hair, enormous green eyes and that megawatt smile – like their mother. I loved them as if they were my own. Sadly, due to my disability maybe, I wasn’t allowed anywhere near them.

“Not till they are older,” mentioned Elisabeth. “I know you wouldn’t hurt them, but I’d rather not take any chances.”

I don’t know if Elisabeth knew it, but those words hurt. It felt as if someone had stabbed me with a knife earlier and all she did was twist it. I swallowed my emotions and tried not to think too much about it. Of course I respected her wishes. I didn’t want her angry with me. So all I could do was simply gaze from afar. I hope the girls grow up soon. I wonder how they’ll react towards me.

That was something I never found out.

No comments: